Sunday, March 1, 2015

Reflection on Distance Learning


As I reflect back on my learning in this course EDUC 6135 – Distance Learning, I realize that I have hit a turning point in my thinking.  Yes, I have learned how to build a course in a CMS, steeped in theory and inclusive of multi-media presentations some of which I even created myself.   But in working towards this objective, I learned so much more.   I learned that it is a challenge to engage a learner that I may never meet in person.   I realize there are strategies to close the gap of distance and time and that there is an ever growing array of media and learning objects to choose from to engage the learner and create a comfortable online learning environment.  “The design of instruction captures those elements that create a learning environment that facilitates student learning.” (Simonson, Smaldino, Albright & Zvacek 2012.)

I think in 5 years, we will see an evening out or leveling of perceptions of online learning being equivalent to traditional school. Technology in general is changing the way we do everything and “we are recognizing that distance isn’t as significant a factor as it was even five years ago.”  (Laureate Video) I think both advocates and skeptics will play a part in this leveling out.

Advocates for distance learning such as online graduates will be more prominent and holding positions of hiring decision and influence.   In education, business, and government ‘distributed teams’ span across the globe and it is becoming more and more common for us to communicate with diverse groups for many different purposes including learning.  Personnel in the technology and knowledge management arena are in fact advocates for distance learning and distance communications.

Skeptics will be more accepting of the idea of distance learning because they will encounter online communication more often, both informally like seeing video of their grandchildren to more formally like seeing their children attend school online, and knowing others in their circle of coworkers, bosses, or family members who have earned an online degree.    Interacting from a distance will become part of our global culture in the next 10 years.  It will simply be how we do things as a planet.   Higher education will be no exception.   Howell, Williams, Lindsay (2003) reference  Dunn(2000) who projected by 2025 that half of the independent colleges of 2000 would be closed, merged or significantly altered in their mission – with traditional campuses declining yet degree granting institutions growing overall.

As an instructional designer, I can be a proponent to improve the perception of distance learning by making distance learning a quality scholarly experience.  It all begins with ensuring the learner is comfortable with the technology and with the distance learning environment.  From there it goes to following sound instructional design theory and practices to develop the best possible learning experience.   I think I can be a positive force for continuous improvement in the field of distance education, by continuously striving to improve myself and expand my knowledge.  I have come to understand that the sharing of information is what moves each of us forward.      It is difficult for me to speculate what the educational landscape will look like in twenty years 2035; however, lifelong learning has already become a competitive necessity.  I am certain that will continue well past the next two decades.
References:
Howell, Scott L.; Williams, Peter B.; Lindsay, Nathan K. (2003) Thirty-two trends affecting Distance Education:  An Informed Foundation for Strategic Planning Online Journal of Distance Learning Administration Volume VI Number 3 retrieved from http://www.westga.edu/~distance/ojdla/fall63/howell63.html
 
Laureate Education (Producer). (n.d.). The future of distance education [Video file]. Retrieved from https://class.waldenu.edu
Simonson, M., Smaldino, S., Albright, M., & Zvacek, S. (2012). Teaching and learning at a distance: Foundations of distance education (5th ed.) Boston, MA: Pearson.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment