Saturday, November 30, 2013

Connectivism

This week's assignment in my EDUC course was to create a mind map of my learning connections using mind mapping software.   I thought, okay new tools, old concept.   I've created mind maps before with paper and pencil and whiteboards using markers.  I had not ever experienced creating one on my PC using software.  I thought it might feel a bit clunky, but it was really a smooth process and in some ways easier due to the icons which are readily available to tag and flag things.   It also allows you to move things around and regroup things much cleaner than with traditional pen and paper.    I used Freemind, but there are other tools out there to utilize.   If you click on it, it should expand. 

Connectivism and My Learning Connections
The various connections shown above are my connections to learning.   These connections date back to my first learning connections as the youngest child in my family to my current day connections at Walden University.  I included past experiences, as I believe the impact these experiences had on shaping my future learning and current networks is important.    My network has expanded my learning.   I have access to hundreds of others who have diverse ideas and thoughts.     Two tools on the map above that have had the most impact on my learning are the RSS feeds and the discussion boards.  I use the RSS feed as a tool to quickly compile information on the latest trends and articles from other blogs on instructional design.   It  makes it convenient and easy to collect data.   Without this tool, and thinking back to pre-internet studies, I would be spending countless hours in a library conducting research.  The discussion boards are extremely enlightening.  The students in my courses have a variety of diverse experience and rich knowledge they bring to the table.   The scholarly conversations we have are deep and give me a benefit of having collective brainpower at my fingertips.  When I have questions,  I like to see what others are doing and reach out to them.     I believe my personal learning network supports the central tenants of connectivism in the following ways.    I am able to transfer knowledge and information obtained from various sources and apply it at work.  In turn, I am able to take my experience and learnings from work and apply it to my schooling.  In doing so, I may share those experiences with classmates in my learning network.   Someone on the other side of the world comments on a discussion board on which I'm participating and in turn that knowledge may affect someone I work with because I may change the way I  approach instruction.  The network allows me to learn from others which in turn shapes my own learning.  

 

No comments:

Post a Comment